Trompe le Monde: A Round the World Tour Diary

An online travel diary so people can keep up to date with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Name:
Location: Home, United Kingdom

You all know who I am, I assume.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Packing (for) heat & soundtracking a journey

I have always hated packing. From packing when I was a kid, going on family holidays, though packing and unpacking my stuff six times a year to go to and from university, it is something that has always irritated and upset me. It is a seemingly endless series of small and fiddly things to remember, each nagging incessantly at the fringes of your consciousness, and then suddenly it's all done. But far from being satisfied at the task's completion, far from getting the sense of fulfilment at the knowledge of a job well done, you are then gripped by a ticklish doubt: what have you left out? Which of the 1827 small tasks that you had to accomplish have you forgotten?

The solution to this is, of course, easy. Simply write down all the stuff that you need to do and tick every item off as you do it. According to my parents. Of course, this is no use when you are in the shower when you think of something that you need to do. And by the time you get out of the shower, you've up and forgotten what it was that you had thought of. Sigh.

Still, after all of these concerns and worries, I think I am all packed. I've got my Visa's for India and Australia (more of which later perhaps), I've got my water purification tablets, I've got my vaccinations, I've got "War and Peace" and a guidebook to India, I've got two packs of cards and some clothes. I think I'll be OK. It's getting exciting now...

In other news, trying to squeeze enough music for 10 months onto just a few minidiscs is bloody hard work. I've got me a few compilation albums burnt off the internet. That's one minidisc. I've got a soul minidisc, featuring Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and a host of old soul classics. I've got a minidisc featuring The Streets, Dizzee Rascal, Wiley and (slightly bizarrely) the King Geedorah album I got off my brother for my birthday. I've got a minidisc featuring a whole load of Dylan, a bit of Marley, and some Grandaddy. I've got one with The Libertines, The Clash, Sex Pistols and Primal Scream's "Exterminator". And now I'm in the middle of doing another couple of minidiscs featuring some other albums I haven't yet got down.

The trouble is trying to include enough music so that I've got both what I want to be listening to now, and what I'm going to want to listen to 8 months from now. Which is hard, seeing as I'm not even sure where I'll be 8 months from now. Come to think of it, by then my minidisc player will probably have been chiefed off of me by some artful foreign pickpocket. Or actually, probably by some lovable scamp artful dodger of a british pickpocket at Heathrow airport...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ricky said...

I sympathise, Sam, I really do. Deciding what music to take when I go on holiday for a fortnight is usually traumatic enough for me...I can't begin to imagine what pop-picking for an 8-monther must be like. But I'm also extremely jealous...right now my most pressing concern is how to get rice out of the gaps in my keyboard.

Do me favour, if you come across a chain-gang on your travels, play them Sam Cooke for me :)

October 26, 2004 at 5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home