Trompe le Monde: A Round the World Tour Diary

An online travel diary so people can keep up to date with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Name:
Location: Home, United Kingdom

You all know who I am, I assume.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

India in a day

Hmmm... When was the last time I posted? Not for a while methinks. {Shuffles through memory} Ah yes, twas the last day in Delhi. How young I was then...

Anyway, that fateful night myself and El Nino, my travelling companion, sauntered along the Main Bazaar of Paharganj, the area of Delhi in which we were staying, strolled into one of the several restaurants that line said busy "road" and bought us some Chicken Mughal to eat for dinner. Nothing of note in the meal itself, it was quite nice but not fantastic, although the waiter singing to himself at all times was disconcerting. Not, however, as disconcerting as the effect the Chicken Mughal had on my digestive system just over 24 hours later. Without wishing to go into too much detail (though I know you want it, every last sloppy pint of it), we're talking burning firewater. For a day. I nearly broke down and cried. And of course, it was the day I saw the Taj Mahal, neatly encompassing the stereotypical Indian Tourist Experience into a short space of time. Except I didn't meet some sort of guru and turn into a hippie...

The Taj Mahal itself is absolutely awesome, however. Pictures of it are one thing, but you don't get an impression of it's sheer size. The thing is massive, and the fact that it is so large and that it's constructed entirely out of white marble makes it seem otherwordly and ethereal, like it's been superimposed onto your eyes. It was built by Shah "I seem to have been involved in every building in India" Jahan as a mausoleum for his favourite wife (these Mughal emperors had it sorted on the women front). Apparently when she died he was so gutted his hair turned grey overnight. The big jessy.


Finally (not much today, I know, but I'm in a "small" (pop 200,000) town outside some bird sanctuary in Rajasthan so this internet connection is pretty slooooow - it feels like I'd be better off with two plastic cups and a piece of string) more on the "white man smells of the devil" front. While calmly sat on the shady side of the Taj Mahal, myself and Trev were quickly surrounded by about 40 Indian schoolchildren on a trip. They first stared, presumably in rapt awe at my sheer beauty {cough}, then all gathered round us and before we knew what was going on their teacher was taking photos of the whole merry group. There followed much "hello" and handshaking. This must be what it feels like to be famous...

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Osgood said...

Hi sam,

just thought i'd send you a little note - hope the bangalore belly has settled down some and you are back on schedule. good to know things are (disentry aside) going to plan; am a big fan of the samuel pepys style effect on the blog. spoke to si who is enormously jealous of your travels to date bwahaha. but then, so am i. saw palin last night swanning through nothern india on telly and convertible trousers aside thought it looked pretty awesome around there - apparently there is a golden sikh temple where you can get a free curry with the 50,000 other visitors, though is not, perhaps, your favorite dish at the mo. keep up the good work chaps,

good luck with everything,

Pat

October 12, 2004 at 3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home