Trompe le Monde: A Round the World Tour Diary

An online travel diary so people can keep up to date with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Name:
Location: Home, United Kingdom

You all know who I am, I assume.

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Life: A beach?

Q: How can you tell an Englishman on a beach abroad?
A: He'll be bright pink and probably drunk.

Yes, hello from beach paradise Palolem in Goa, where it's all kinds of hot and sunny, the seafood is awesome, and the sea is warm and clear. Jealous? You should be. And, as the above introduction suggests, we've been flying the flag appropriately, getting sunburnt and drinking too much on our first day here. Quality.

We arrived in Palolem at 5 in the morning, having gotten the night bus from Badami. Our first experience of the beach was sitting on it waiting for the sun to come up. Once it had, though, we wandered around for a while and soon got ourselves accomodation: a bamboo shack on stilts some 40m from the sea. Before long we hit the beach, and got in a good morning's skinfrying.

In the evening we had dinner, and drank a bottle of local firewater Feni, which is not too bad. Felt utterly terrible the next day, though (yesterday), but then we did go to a fair few bars and drink a noxious mix of spirits - rum, vodka, etc etc. Still, all in all it was a great great day - for the first time in ages I saw the sea, drank too much and, thanks to the Kingfish I had for dinner, I had a meal containing something that had died for my food.

We'll probably mooch about here in south Goa until Thursday or so, and then we'll head up to north Goa, which is the real party scene.

Anyone who wants to tell me how jealous they are, or what the weather is like in England, e-mail me at the usual address!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm jealous sam....it snowed in warwick the other day...

Lucy x

November 22, 2004 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Shall said...

Yeah Sam, snow and cold and wind! It's ok though, south India is on my list of things to do. Being as I've done the northern bits.

November 27, 2004 at 4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home