Trompe le Monde: A Round the World Tour Diary

An online travel diary so people can keep up to date with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Name:
Location: Home, United Kingdom

You all know who I am, I assume.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

I'm fine!

Howdy,

Sorry that it's taken me so long to write this and set all your minds at rest, but I can explain. Firstly, I am absolutely fine, the massive earthquake that's decimated parts of South-East Asia left the north end of Thailand where we were relatively unscathed. Us 1, Natural Disasters 0. Though we really want to be keeping a clean sheet on this one...

Anyway, the reason I have taken so long to post this reassuring message is that when the earthquake hit at half eight on boxing day morning Thai time I was asleep (though apparently it could be felt in Chiang Mai). I then spent the rest of the day being very very ill due to what would be referred to diplomatically as Christmas Day 'over-exertions'. In fact I couldn't even keep water down as late in the day as eight o'clock.

Since then I have been trying to find an internet place, but I have also been travelling lots. On the 27th we left Chiang Mai and hauled arse to the Thai/Laos border via six hours of nerve-racking bus trips and a lot of even more nerve-racking waiting for the bus. Nerve-racking because we knew the Laos border would shut at around five and weren't sure how close we were, time-wise. But we got across that day, and spent the night in Huay Xai on the Laos side of the Mekong river, of mentioned in Vietnam war films fame. Then today we again hauled arse, this time up said river on a nerve-racking six hour speedboat journey with frequent not nerve-racking stops. The reason for the nerves being racked this time was due to the speed and apparent lack of stability of the boat. Don't worry, we made it. Though Lonely Planet does mention that a certain number of people are killed every year on journeys like that.

But hey, when you've survived the India Bus and Train networks, and one of the world's biggest earthquakes, you're invincible, right?

PS - My long-awaited post about hill trekking in Thailand will follow this soon, I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ricky said...

Nice to know you're ok, Mr. Tazzyman. Have a grand new year and all that nonsense...

December 29, 2004 at 5:08 AM  
Anonymous Thailand Tours said...

Hello there This is a really great website. I was quite impressed with the work that you have done here. I just wanted to send you a quick message that I have really enjoyed it. Cierra

November 20, 2006 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home