Trompe le Monde: A Round the World Tour Diary

An online travel diary so people can keep up to date with what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Name:
Location: Home, United Kingdom

You all know who I am, I assume.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Sydney

All this talk of the terrible state of customer service in multinational banking corporations musn't, however, replace me recording my feelings on Sydney. After all, it's the first place I've ever been to in Australia, or even in the Southern Hemisphere for that matter.

So, my opinions on Australia's Biggest City (population-wise): It's lovely. We're staying in an area called Kings Cross, which is pretty seedy, but then I've just come from South-east Asia - I'm inured to sleaze these days. Kings Cross is handy cos it's right near the Harbour, featuring the Opera House, as well as being near the main business/shopping areas. Not that I can afford anything. Sydney may well be great, like London but with nice weather and a lot less hustle and bustle, but it's also expensive. Especially compared to Asia. Westernisation isn't all good.

Still, it's certainly a pleasure to be able to drink water from the tap rather than having to buy bottled stuff, and to walk around town without standing out as a rich honky tourist ripe for the fleecing.

The Opera House is charming (more buildings should be crazy, in my view), Manly beach is good (though I did get mildly stung by a jellyfish while paddling in the Pacific), and I'm not yet irritated so much by the need to wash up that I've become tired of the novelty of cooking. If it wasn't for the struggle to keep expenses below 15 quid a day (and fail, and then realise you've also got to pay for a bus ticket) and the fact that our hostel seems to be the hottest place in the world (literally dripping with sweat while trying to get to sleep is not pleasant) and all the other guests are criminally stupid (Sample quote: "The Atlanta Olympics - that was a long time ago. Must be nearly five years ago now") we'd probably stay longer, cos the city is really nice.

We're leaving for Melbourne tonight.

9 Comments:

Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a plane ticket to mexico
It deals mostly with plane ticket to mexico plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

October 5, 2005 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a bid on plane ticket
It deals mostly with bid on plane ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

October 7, 2005 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger WorldTrader said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a e currency exchange program site, Check it out. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 8, 2005 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees aging.org health link womens
. It has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is aging.org health link womens
site/blog. It pretty much covers aging.org health link womens
related stuff.

October 9, 2005 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger heropoo said...

I have a disney credit card site. It pretty much covers disney credit card related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

October 9, 2005 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger startonline said...

I was searching for credit card merchant services and somehow ended up here. However I do like your Blog a lot. I've add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit.

October 10, 2005 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site. Check mine out if you can. johnny cash movie

October 26, 2005 at 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog. I have found a site on travel asia . You may find it useful at travel asia

November 1, 2005 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Credit Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a credit cards for bad credit site/blog. It pretty much covers credit cards for bad credit related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

December 27, 2005 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home